Sunday, March 18, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Re: MIXERS;





Here, hay comes in 50# square bales at $3./each or 500# round bales at $20./each. That's what I meant when I said that, in this area, it's cheap and plentiful.  I know that it is much more expensive in other parts of the country. They do eat that weight but they are on a forage first/no processed foods diet, like everything else I can influence. I do better at forcing horses, dogs, chickens, etc. to eat healthy than I do with myself and my son.
In the winter, when there's nothing growing in the pastures, that is what they eat. In the growing months, with plenty of grass, they eat almost no hay at all so the numbers fluctuate with the pasture growth. One of the main reasons we are planting millet this year is to lower costs by extending the amount of time they can graze and the millet has more nutritional value than the hay.  Clarissa




--- On Sun, 3/18/12, TerryW <blazingsaddles@frontiernet.net> wrote:

From: TerryW <blazingsaddles@frontiernet.net>
Subject: [papercreters] Re: MIXERS;
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, March 18, 2012, 2:10 AM

 

. At about 2000# each, they consume about 200# of forage per day
 
Wow, where I'm at the price for a 100# bale is $20.  That'd be $40 a day to feed them.  They don't really consume a whole bale a day each, do they?


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___