Friday, March 16, 2012

RE: [papercreters] Re: Link to blog activity for those who are interested.



Thank you so much Vickie. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I have really enjoyed this project but at time I have to wonder at myself taking on so much. But you're right it is cute and has come out nice. 

For the fireplace I formed the shape out of several kinds of wire I had around. I'll have to look back at the blog to see how much I explained. I used the directions on the Rumford fireplace site. I would include the address here but am at my daughter's on her computer which is an Apple and I don't know how to switch between pages. Anyway, when I had it up past the smoke shelf I put in an 8" stovepipe and continued it up past the roof by 4 feet. What you may be seeing sticking out about the opening is the little damper I put in. I can turn it to close or open.

I am not sure about the milk and oil sealer. I found the recipe in Carole Crews' book Clay Culture. At first I tried spraying it on but it was too uneven so I applied it with a sponge which worked well. I'm not sure if it will need more than one application. I've noticed that it is holding up well on the "kitchen" wall. I can tell because I used a huge amount of iron oxide to color it and it used to come right off when I wiped it but it is not doing that many more.

I do have pics of the outside and didn't realize I hadn't posted any here. I will do that when I get home and am on my own computer. If you haven't looked at the blog you may want to check it out. The address is in the signature of this email.

I always love having people stop by to see what I'm doing and appreciate help when it comes along. Everyone is welcome any time.



Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: vickeym@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 08:47:23 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Link to blog activity for those who are interested.

 
You have a beautiful place there. I absolutely love the fireplace. Thank you so much for sharing it and all your knowledge with us.

We have watched all your videos and learned much from your sharing your knowledge with us. Hopefully one day we will have the opportunity to be in your area and offer a few extra hands to whatever project you may have going at that time.

I do have a couple of questions:

For your fireplace, is there some type of stovepipe or anything inside it?

In the photo of the fireplace burning you can clearly see there is something in or sticking out of the wall above the fire. What is it?

The milk and oil mixture you used to seal and waterproof your walls, does that have to be reapplied or does one good time seal it permanently? If it needs to be resealed how often?

And one more...Have I missed pictures of the outside? Or is that part not yet finished. I know over the winter you may have been concentrating on the inside and on other things. I also remember reading you camera broke. I just don't want to miss seeing the beautiful work you have done here. It looks so inviting, comfortable, and just feels like a home when you look at the photos.

You should be very proud of yourself for all you have accomplished there.

Vickey in Alaska

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog/uncategorized/sealing-walls.php
>
>
> Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
>
> More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
>




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___