Monday, May 26, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Re: Ne'mind

I know perlite comes in two forms and the ag version is worthless for my
purposes. I like the addition of perlite for a couple reasons . . . as I
understand it, the addition of perlite increases the compressive strength
AND increases the insulative value . . . what's not to like?!

My plan is to learn what I need to learn building the chicken house. Then
I'll visit the inspector and try and reason him into approving a permit to
rebuild the pump house using the technique I want to use on the house. If
that's successful, and he's suitably impressed, I'm hoping I can get a
permit for the house . . . experimental or otherwise. I'm thinking if I can
keep him involved in the process he'll have a better understanding of what
I'm doing and why. That should improve my chances . . .

Keep your fingers crossed . . .

If I can't get him to go along with me on the pump house I'll go with post
and beam and papercrete infill . . . ferrocement post and beam if I can go
that route.

ElfN


----- Original Message -----
From: "David-"The Hern"" <jerrydave1@sbcglobal.net>
To: <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2008 8:49 AM
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Ne'mind


> Hi Nori, I dont think perlite is available in commercial form in a
> fibrous material.
>
> If it is only available in a granular form I am familiar with from
> horticulture, I doubt it would constitue a fibrous reinforcement.
>
> Adherence between the cement and ganules is not the same mechanism as
> embedding hi tensile strength fibers in the mix.
>
> OR I could be as full of it as the christmas goose with this
> analysis! :-)
>
>
> --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "ElfNori" <elf@...> wrote:
> >
> > Found it on a Colorado green building site.
> >
> > The provisions of this code are not intended to prevent the
> installation of any material or to prohibit any design or method of
> construction not specifically prescribed by this code, provided that
> any such alternative has been approved. An alternative material,
> design or method of construction shall be approved where the building
> official finds that the proposed design is satisfactory and complies
> with the intent of the provisions of this code, and that the
> material, method or work offered is, for the purpose intended, at
> least the equivalent of that prescribed in this code.
> >
> > Whenever there is insufficient evidence of compliance with the
> provisions of this code, or evidence that a material or method does
> not conform to the requirements of this code, or in order to
> substantiate claims for alternative materials or methods, the
> building official shall have the authority to require tests as
> evidence of compliance to be made at no expense to the jurisdiction...
> >
> > I'm going to need the services of an engineer . . . does anyone
> know of a papercrete experienced engineer? I can use Chris Zweifel,
> but he's monolithic, ferrocement, not adobe or papercrete.
> >
> > ElfN
> >
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 269.24.1/1466 - Release Date: 5/25/2008
6:49 PM


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/