Saturday, May 3, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Pulp production

Most excellent! 
 
Question . . . why did you use plywood on one side?  Why not mesh on both?  Or something pourous on both?
 
2nd question . . . how much did it shrink and in which direction?  Do you have pictures?
 
3rd question . . . did you pre-drain the mix before you bucketed it into your form?
 
This is SO exciting!
 
ElfN
----- Original Message -----
From: Spaceman
Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2008 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Pulp production

The dome I was working on last fall was done with porous forms. I had stucco mesh on one side, and plywood on the other. Using a wet mix, I filled the forms with a bucket because my pump was out of commission.

As far as I can tell there are no voids at all and I ended up with very solid 14" thick walls. There is no seam between layers. After removing the plywood in a few hours, the walls got hard in a couple of days, and I was able to peel off the mesh, leaving just papercrete.  Now that spring is here and the windy season should be just about over, I'll get back to pouring.

Spaceman

ElfNori wrote:
I'm clearing out my inbox and can't delete this without one more response . . .
 
I'm thinking the mix will settle better if I pump it into the porous form with all the water in it instead of draining it first.  I think the chance of voids in the papercrete will be less that way . . .
 
Mikey?   Based on your battery room experience, which would you recommend?
 
ElfN


No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG.
Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.8/1412 - Release Date: 5/2/2008 4:34 PM
__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___