Monday, May 5, 2008

[papercreters] Re: Papercrete Gone Wild!

For Terry in AZ.

Some days it might have been better to have stayed in bed and let the
world pass you by. Am 67 in June and been down that highway a time or
two in life.

Just getting into papercreate up in the NE partition of Arizona. At the
moment doing the 5 gallon bucket thing and am having a ball. Graduated
to a small tub and made a block 1' X 2' X 4 1/2", didn't put any paper
under it when I poured it on my redwood porch.

Next morning took a look at it, poked a finger or two into it, says to
myself "better not mess with this one for today". Looking good, looking
good.

Next morning, Looks fantastic, guess I'll turn it up on its side and
let it cure. What!!! Oh come on, move!! Couldn't budge it, glued itself
onto the deck. Took the 2 X 8 frame and slammed it into the side of the
block to "unstick" it from the deck. Won't be so careless in the future
will I?

Block didn't break up luckily, and it is looking good. Well should have
kept my mouth shut, next thing I see is my Boxer scratching on it. She
also knows how to turn a finished "show-n-tell" block 3" X 3" back into
shreaded material on my liveing room couch.

Conclusion, papercreate is fairly impervious to most things such as
burning with a torch, moving around and playing with them, but they are
not impervious to animals that like to scratch.

OK, on to the real world.

I have procured two old Cushman scooter frames ($20 for both). Am
tinkering around with them and want to build a 55 gallon mixer with one
of them. Due to the cost of gasoline and such, along with the fact that
I am retired and live on a fixed income and also because of a medical
condition, I don't drive any more. I can't pull it behind a truck I
don't have. Therefore I am going to use a 10 HP motor to do my mixing
with.

WHAT RPM SHOULD THE MIXING BLADE TURN AT???

Was having a problem trying to figure out how to get the axle high
enough to go over forms, the Cushman only has 8" tires on it and the
axle will not clear a 2 X 6. No problem, just put my discharge on the
side and pull the mixer along the side of my form instead of over it.

Next question, would a "riding lawn mower" be strong enough to pull
this 55 gallon mixer (filled) for pouring forms and moving around a
building site? Also might use the riding mower and build it like a
vehicle pulled mixer? Any ideas would be appreciated.

One of the neat things about being retired is that I have the time to
think an idea through before actually building it and than finding out
that, this idea won't work, or perhaps this idea may work better.

I will be taking pictures and detailing how I build this mixer in the
next couple of months and posting it on my web site at websbylarry.com.

And for those of you that like to tinker, I also am doing a HPV (Human
Powered Vehicle) on my site. Take a look now and then as I get these
projects going.

Larry in NE Arizona


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/