Thursday, May 22, 2008

[papercreters] Re: bucket mixer

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Becky Olsen" <itsbeckybob@...>
wrote:
>
> I came across this blade on t.v. the other day:
> https://www.productsontelevision.com/awesomeauger/index.asp?
> did=445&refcode=aa02 . If anyone out there with experience has time
> to check it out for me, could you tell me if it would work as a 5-
> gallon bucket papercrete mixer?

It might. I used a similar device on my drill for a while. It is
brutal on your arms and shoulders, but it did work for me.

> I once read about a papercrete experimenter who cut right through a
> plastic bucket and into his leather boots. If I wanted to try the
> bucket method, would it be possible to rig up a "lid" of sorts that
> would hold the blade straight so it wouldn't hit the sides? Or
> would that restrict the movement of the blade too much, causing the
> paper to clump and not shred?

It can be done, but it generally causes the symptoms you listed. The
'creter you mentioned there is Slurryguy, who might chip in on this. I
would experiment with a lid on the 5 gallon bucket and use the shaft
of the mixer as a guide. Then you cut a hole that keeps the blade
about half an inch from the side. Would help some, anyway.

> I would love to have a 200-or-more-gallon mixer, but we can't
> finance one right now. If this would work as a small mixer, I would
> try it, since I don't mind working small batches (it would sure beat
> the food processor I used when I experimented with some different
> mixes several months ago. Now that I have the basic mix that I
> prefer down, and some room to work, I would like to get a little
> more serious about making bricks).

Have you considered using a pressure washer for your pulping? the
mixing is alot easier and safer if the paper is already pulped. You
can pick up a used one at a pawn shop or on craig's list perhaps. And
you can get a small concrete mixer to throw the pulp and cement in to
prevent hand mixing at all. These go for ~$90 USD at harbor frieght
when they go on sale, about once every 2-3 months.

HTH

- Ernie


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/